To purchase this space contact Gordon

BHP is set to receive three new high-capacity cone crushers from Mesto at its Mount Whaleback iron ore mine in the Pilbara.

“The MP800 cone crushers will replace the long-serving MP cone crushers,” Metso mining and crushers vice president Vinicius Vilela said.

“The robust and high-capacity MP series crushers are a step change in the crushing process, enabling maximum operator safety and easy maintenance, as the key components can be accessed from the top of the crushers.

“They provide a more sustainable solution, delivering high crushing force with relatively low energy consumption.”

The Mount Whaleback iron ore mine is a part of a joint venture between BHP, who hold an 85 per cent stake in the project, and Mitsui and ITOCHU which hold the remaining 15 per cent.

At 1.5 kilometres wide and five kilometres long, Mount Whaleback is the single-biggest open-pit iron ore mine in the world.

First opened in 1968, the mine is part of the Newman processing hub located in the Pilbara region of WA, six kilometres west of Newman.

As part of Mount Whaleback’s development in the late 1960s, the town of Newman was built to accommodate workers on the mine.

The BHP contract follows Metso’s announcement on September 28 it was increasing its order of cone crushers for Rio Tinto to a total of 16.

The HP500 crushers are destined for BHP’s Tom Price iron ore mine in WA and will replace the company’s long-serving Symons cone crushers.

Metso said the compact size of the HP500 cone crusher is well suited as a replacement for Symons crushers.

The company’s cone crusher offering includes four product families for different applications and operations.

Metso said the Nordberg MP series cone crushers to be installed at Mount Whaleback feature a high capacity and high crushing force for size reduction with good energy efficiency.